Monday, April 6, 2015

spring 2015

Gina and I took Sofia for her first bike ride today and during the trip I thought that it's been far too long since my last post. A lot has happened since I wrote last and I certainly won't be able to fill everyone in on everything that has happened, but I can certainly discuss the highlights.

First up is a brief tale of our trip to Germany. Last fall Sebastian, a good friend of ours living in Germany, invited us to spend the weekend with him and his girlfriend in his hometown outside Munich. We gladly accepted and began preparations to make the trip to Bavaria. After passing through Liechtenstein and upon entering Germany I admit to being slightly nervous. I have heard quite a lot about the autobahn and was slightly concerned that ours would be the only car on the entire highway driving slower than 200 kph. To my surprise my trepidation, for the most part, was unfounded. Although legally allowed to travel as fast as their cars would take them, most of the drivers we encountered appeared content to cruise along at about 90 kph, a speed I was perfectly content to mimic. As time passed I grew more and more confident, gradually increasing my speed, pushing my economy class volkswagen to what I was certain was "the edge," even beginning to scoff condescendingly at those meek souls I passed. And then something red, loud, and scary passed me. As I was preparing to overtake a tan mini van, feeling more and more like I could have a bright future in Formula 1, I began to shift into the fast lane. A half a second before committing I double checked my mirrors and it happened. I heard a noise, saw a red blur, and felt my whole car shake as if being hit by the leading edge of a tropical storm. Then it was gone. I didn't pass anyone again for a long time.

Upon arrival to our hosts house we were immediately told that a meal had been prepared at Sebastian's extended families farmhouse. Before describing the debauched scene that unfolded at said property, let me just briefly say that this setting was beautiful. Sebastian's family farm has been in their home for generations and generations. Ancestors of his hundreds of years ago diverted a river and constructed an immense mill, an impressive structure which still stands today. This, and the other traditional family enterprise, killing horses maimed in combat,has allowed for the development of a truly beautiful home. Now back to the evening's details. We didn't really go to dinner. It was mostly, with the exception of all you can eat cheese and sausage, just a lot of drinking. The Bavarians are, and justifiably so, quite proud of their hand-brewed beers. And we learned that they make sure that visitors never have an empty cup.

In addition to enjoying great beer, Bavarians apparently also like to snort tobacco. Gina and I both were invited to partake. To help neophytes accomplish the task successfully, a, hand-built tobacco shooter was built by the family generations ago. Essentially, guests are given a wooden board which is tensioned with a very powerful spring. Tobacco is loaded onto grooves routed into the board, which is placed immediately underneath ones nose. As soon as inhalation commences, a trigger is depressed, releasing the spring, snapping the board up, and shooting a wad of tobacco deep into the users nasal cavity. I wasn't smitten with the results but to each his own. Gina somehow shot her tobacco into her eyes. She didn't enjoy it much either. Except for the snorting of tobacco our visit to Bavaria was incredible. Sebastian's family were wonderful hosts. They took the time to welcome us into their home and eat their food and drink their beer. A beautiful place with warm, wonderful people.

This past Christmas we went home for the first time since we moved to Switzerland. Except for the twelve hour flight with Sofia the trip was great. We traveled to California and stayed with Diane and Steve, who were, as always, wonderful hosts. It was great being back in the states. For me the two things that stood out the most were the size of the highways and the parking lots. Parking lots- at least parking lots that aren't below or above ground- don't exist in Switzerland. In addition to having to host our family Diane and Steve invited quite a number of others, including my own family. It was great. Everyone had a lot of fun and enjoyed a wonderful Christmas dinner.

Since arriving back home things have returned to normal. Gina is busy in the lab, I'm working in the shop, and we are enjoying our new apartment. I spent a week in Durban to conduct some preliminary site analysis for a potential PhD. project focused on urine and recently submitted a proposal to secure funding, we'll see how that pans out. Sofia will move to a new day care tomorrow. We are a little nervous about that but at the same time excited that our commute will be reduced and hopefully we will be able to spend the additional time wisely. She won't be learning Spanish any longer which is a bit tragic. Gina and I are looking for a German class to take so that we will be able to communicate with our daughter. Same old I guess. 


fall 2014: Sofia in the park


farmhouse in Bavaria



going to check out the old mill

visiting an ancient castle in the bavarian forest


1st time sledding
biking in spring
Why'd we stop?



No comments:

Post a Comment